night-time, the conversing is finished at last (and oh, the conversations of the heart…), and it’s quiet. shockingly so. i light candles, sip tea, pray for those who’ve been up late discussing matters of life and soul.
i pull out a good book and realize i need chocolate. the pages will somehow read easier, i’m sure, with a little treat. so determinedly dismissing several
evil tempting baked goods for another time, i grab a can of coconut milk from the fridge and whip up this dairy free chocolate mousse.
there are several versions of this recipe on the web, not the least of which are the urban poser’s and chocolate covered katie’s. this one is a conglomeration, and it can be changed up with any extract. i think vanilla with fresh sliced strawberries on top would be perfection.
there. i’ve got a little late-night treat, the kitchen’s none the wearied, and i’m about to settle into my little corner of the couch. now if no one realizes mom’s got chocolate and they keep snoring…
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons raw caco powder or dark cocoa powder, plus 1 teaspoon for garnish
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Refrigerate coconut milk overnight with can upside-down.
- Just before opening, flip can right-side up.
- This will leave the liquid on top, and can easily be poured off.
- Pour liquid into separate container, reserve to drink or use in another recipe.
- Scoop remaining coconut cream into a bowl with cocoa and maple syrup.
- Whip cream just until light and fluffy.
- To serve, sprinkle with additional cocoa powder.
what’s your favorite late-night sneaky-treat?