so i learned a little trick a while back – do you know this trick? you should massage your kale.
i know, it sounds funny, but for this kale salad recipe, i was determined to do it. normally, i’m too
lazy hungry, and i skip it. but my husband’s one complaint when i feed him salads with “alternative” greens (or lawnmower mulch, as he fondly refers to anything other than romaine), is that it seems “sharp” to him. so i told myself i would massage my kale when i tried this recipe.
funny story. i was elbow deep in my bowl of kale, massaging it into gentle submission, when a knock sounded at my front door. i should clarify, my kitchen was a disaster, as it was “set up” for a long day of recipe developing and photgraphy, so there were boards and backgrounds, lighting and props, dishes and ingredients strewn everywhere about our humble, albeit sun-filled temporary kitchen. i expected no guests, and i was dressed, well, as you might be if you planned a guest-free day in your kitchen. lo and behold, new friends we’d never met before were stopping by, and they’d driven two hours, and had no plans for the day!
thankfully, they were gracious and stepped past the
mounds of mess culinary treasures and sat right down to enjoy this recipe for a yummy lunch. we all loved it, and i fully intend to make it again next week. perhaps with a cleaner kitchen and perhaps in something other than my sweats. perhaps.
oh and the massaging trick totally works. the kale was soft and seemed to soak up the flavor of the dressing so well. it seems like it doesn’t make much, but it was more than enough for 8 people!
- 1 large bag fresh kale, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 apples - cored, and diced (Crispin preferred)
- 2 avocados - peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes, or more to taste
- ½ red onion, diced
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- ¼ pound sliced cooked chicken or turkey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 pinch dried oregano, or to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Layer kale, apples, avocados, tomatoes, red onion, and cilantro together in a bowl.
- Whisk olive oil, cider vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt, and black pepper together in a bowl until dressing is smooth and thickened.
- Pour dressing over kale mixture and toss to coat completely.
this recipe was adapted from melissa’s kale salad at allrecipes. i made very few changes, except to add a couple proteins to the salad, and mustard/honey to the dressing. i liked that so much i made it again a day later and used it to top a salad with my beloved arugula.
Join the Dance!
Subscribe to Dancing With My Father and download a free mini-guide to soul-nourishing study!