we stagger from our beds after a late night of editing. or we roll out perky, ready for another sunny Florida day, welcomed with family time together. or we’re recovering from a “cheat weekend” of friends and food indulgence.
either way, we always wake up hungry.
sometimes we make eggs. sometimes it’s bacon and muffins. but most busy weekday mornings, we make smoothies.
this apple-licious, spicy green smoothie is bright, fresh, and warming at once. it would be perfect for an “up-north” autumn morning, and it’s great for an afternoon pick-me-up.
my athletes (and my growing young men) demand protein, so the nuts make it even more hearty. we’ve grown to really like hemp seeds, so i throw in a few of those or some flax seed to pump it up even more.
want to make your own? here’s the recipe:
- 2 whole apples, core removed, quartered
- 1 1/2 cup whole grass fed milk, coconut milk, or milk of your choice
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon flax seeds or meal
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or sweetener of your choice
- Place ingredients into blender in order listed.
- Blend, first on low, then high, just until well combined and frothy.
- If desired, you can add several ice cubes for a thicker smoothie.
- Garnish with a dash of nutmeg (I prefer to grate mine fresh).