We are tea drinkers in this house. It’s pretty common for even Little to go into the kitchen during math time and make himself a cup of Iris Breakfast (his favorite). But we’re coffee snobs, too (last year my boys and I unknowingly bought each other coffee making accessories for gifts at Christmas), and this paleo coffee smoothie/peppermint frappe recipe is a delicious treat that won’t destroy your new-year-well-wishes for your body!
I am a huge fan of cacao nibs, but for a decadent treat, you could also toss in a few dark chocolate covered coffee beans!
The coconut oil gives the iced coffee a creaminess that I love, without having to add whole milk. You can use refrigerated coconut milk or canned, if you prefer, or you can substitute with almond or other nut milk. The peppermint oil (be sure to source high-quality, food-safe oil) adds such a pop of flavor, and it also has added nutritional benefits. If you prefer, you can replace it with 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract.
- 1 cup ice
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs (save a few for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1-2 drops peppermint oil
- 1-2 drops liquid stevia (or 1 tsp honey)
- fresh peppermint leaves (optional)
- Place ingredients in high-speed blender in order listed.
- Blend on low, then high, for 30 seconds or until frothy and well combined.
- If desired, garnish with fresh mint and cacao nibs.
While the kids insist they must have their monkey bread on Christmas morning, I’ll be sipping on my cool, frothy pick-me-up and digging into my stocking. How about you?