it’s summer. that can only mean sunshine and rainy afternoons and beach days and,
as our family works gently toward cleaner eating, i’m always experimenting with new ingredients. when i saw cashew flour at trader joe’s, i knew it was an easy way to do that. Driscoll’s offered up coupons to make my strawberry dreams come true, and we were off on a “find a new magical shortcake recipe” adventure.
i wanted a tart, bright feel to counter the rich, buttery shortbread, so we added lemon curd, cream cheese, and Greek yogurt to the whipped cream. aside from letting them sit to macerate a bit (you can add some honey or raw sugar if you like, but i didn’t need it with strawberries this fresh and juicy), the berries are left to their sweet natural selves.
print this. make it. even if you’re not gluten-free or grain-free or any of those. it’s a beautiful dessert all on its own accord.
- For shortcake:
- 3/4 cup salted butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 cup cashew flour (available in 1 pound bags at Trader Joe's)
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped of seeds
- For Whipped Cream:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup lemon curd
- 1/2 vanilla bean, scraped from the pod
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 pints fresh Dole strawberries
- additional lemon curd, for serving
- Slice strawberries and set aside, saving 4 whole strawberries for garnish.
- For Shortcake:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees farenheit.
- Melt butter and honey, 30 seconds at a time, in microwave.
- Stir in vanilla bean and cashew flour (finely ground cashews) until completely blended.
- Pour into a well-greased 8-inch round cake pan (we use coconut oil spray).
- Bake at 325 degrees for 12-18 minutes, checking every few minutes after 10.
- Remove from oven when golden brown (nut flours burn easily).
- Place on a cooling rack and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Slice into 8 wedges.
- For whipped cream:
- Place cream cheese, honey, lemon curd, and vanilla bean in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Beat ingredients until combined, and no lumps remain in cream cheese.
- Add Greek yogurt and continue beating until blended.
- Add heavy cream and beat until peaks begin to form.
- Place in refrigerator for 20 minutes to chill.
- To serve:
- Place a wedge of shortbread on plate.
- Smear with 1 teaspoon lemon curd and 2 tablespoons fresh sliced strawberries.
- Top with piped or heaped whipped cream and half a fresh strawberry to garnish.
- Serves 8.
what do you think? i’d love to hear your results!
Join the Dance!
Subscribe to Dancing With My Father and download a free mini-guide to soul-nourishing study!