when Reynolds Wrap sent over a sample of their foil along with recipe suggestions for this masala chicken and vegetables, i looked forward to trying the masala flavors, along with the foil cooking. until we replace our grill (and the original recipe did call for grilling; we improvised and were happy with the results), new and creative meat ideas are much appreciated.
the sweet, spicy, and slightly smoky flavor of the masala and garlic, accented by the lemony, tangy yogurt, is a perfect combination. and my, the meat is juicy…
to complement the warm dish, i made a moroccan tomato salad. definitely click over and give this dish a chance – you will not be disappointed, i promise.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 teaspoons garam masala, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken halves
- 4 medium yellow summer squash, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- For sauce:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh lemon zest of one lemon
- fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Mix olive oil, 5 teaspoons garam masala, garlic, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl until combined.
- Tear 8 sheets (12x12 inches each) of aluminum foil.
- Center one chicken breast half on a sheet of foil; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon garam masala on both sides.
- Place squash and onion slices on top of chicken.
- Drizzle evenly with 1/8 of olive oil mixture.
- Bring up foil sides.
- Double-fold top and ends to seal packet, leaving room for heat to circulate inside.
- Repeat to make eight packets.
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through to 165 degrees.
- Meanwhile, mix yogurt with sea salt, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- To serve, open packets carefully, allowing steam to escape by piercing with a sharp knife.
- Open each packet and top with yogurt mixture and cilantro, if desired.
do you ever cook with foil packets? i’m amazed with how fast the clean-up was, and how juicy the meat. share a cool recipe below for me to try!
this recipe was revised from the original recipe, sponsored by Reynolds Wrap, at Allrecipes.com. i am an allrecipes.com brand ambassador, and products have been provided to me by Reynolds Wrap for the purpose of this review. i am not compensated for my reviews, and all opinions are my own.
Join the Dance!
Subscribe to Dancing With My Father and download a free mini-guide to soul-nourishing study!