it’s summer. in florida, that means it’s hot. and by hot, i mean i don’t want to step outside the front door unless i’m headed to the pool or the beach. i mean if i have to wait for the air to kick on in the the car, i’m not nice. it’s wicked, i know. i’m spoiled senseless. and making this salted maple dairy free ice cream makes everyone around me feel spoiled, too. it’s light and creamy, feels more decadent than it is, and it will make your tummy as happy as your taste buds, i hope.
it’s especially perfect if you sprinkle it with a little bit of coarse sea salt before serving, and if you like, drizzle with honey or more maple syrup (gasp!). maybe next time, fresh strawberries or blackberries on top? because i like those on anything.
this recipe was inspired by a girl worth saving’s primal salted caramel ice cream. i loved the idea and the simplicity, but the honey was a bit too sweet for me. i’m hopelessly addicted to maple syrup, so we gave it a try, and it was a hit.
even the boys who beg for a movie-night ice cream run were happy with this recipe. and dairy free ice cream doesn’t make us feel all slumpy the next morning (even if staying up too late for movie night might…).
here’s the recipe!
- 2 cans of refrigerated coconut milk (full-fat)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt + 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 8 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Freeze ice cream maker for at least 24 hours.
- Mix together maple syrup, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, and butter in a small saucepan until it begins to bubble.
- Remove from stove and whisk in vanilla extract.
- Set aside to cool slightly (about five minutes).
- In a high-speed blender, blend coconut milk and sea salt.
- Slowly blend in maple syrup mixture.
- Chill for 30-60 minutes.
- Pour mixture into chilled ice cream maker until thick and creamy.
do you like it? i’d love if you have a sec to snap a pic of your version and instagram; hashtag #dancingwithmyfather to brag it up! 🙂