these may-i-say adorable dessert cups are a primal/paleo and allergy friendly dessert idea that you can make any time. i have to be honest, although the layered cups look so pretty, i was happily eating the oh-so-simple cherry chia layer by the spoonful from the blender. maybe for breakfast. which is ok, because they’re actually very good for you. (you might, too. i won’t tell.)
i think these would be a wonderful gift for a friend – the jars are wonderful to use for all sorts of things after (buttons? pretty paper clips? more desserts?). and because they have their own lids, you can make them early in the day and serve when you’re ready.
sometimes i don’t feel very paper-crafty, but i loved making the pretty watercolor tags for these. i am sharing them today at skip to my lou! click on over for a super simple tutorial and a free printable – a perfect last-minute gift for your sweeties.
are you a last-minute-gifter?
one tip from the trenches: i found that with the chia (or was it the coconut? the gelatin? i’m not sure!) the texture wasn’t as pleasant the next day, so i’d recommend devouring these beauties the same day.
do holidays bring out your inner artist? what’s a favorite project you’ve created?
- cherry layer:
- 3 cups frozen cherries
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- coconut layer:
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1¼ teaspoon grass-fed gelatin
- For cherry layer:
- Place cherries, honey, almond extract, and chia in a high-speed blender.
- Add up to ¼ cup water if needed.
- Blend until cherries reach a thick "sherbet" consistency.
- Set aside.
- For coconut layer:
- Whisk gelatin into 1 cup of coconut milk, and allow to sit for 5 minutes to "bloom."
- Gently warm the mixture in a small saucepan over low to medium heat just until gelatin has dissolved, whisking frequently.
- If needed, strain mixture.
- Stir in honey, vanilla, and remaining milk.
- Carefully spoon cherry mixture into 4 clear glass containers until ¼ full and chill in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Once mixture begins to set, carefully spoon a layer of coconut mixture onto the cherry mixture, and chill 15-30 minutes.
- Repeat, finishing with coconut layer.
- Cover containers and allow to set in refrigerator for 1-4 hours.
- Serve and enjoy.