Gingerbread Cookie Grain-Free Ice Cream Sandwiches
Author: Angela Sackett | Dancing With My Father
Recipe type: Grain-Free Dessert
Serves: 12 bite-size cookie sandwiches
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup coconut flour
- ½ cup arrowroot flour
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger (about 1” piece, peeled)
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Cream together coconut oil, molasses and maple syrup for 30 seconds to one minute.
- Add eggs and beat at medium speed for an additional two minutes.
- Stir together dry ingredients in a separate bowl and reduce mixing speed to low. gradually adding dry ingredients to wet, continuing to mix at low speed for one minute.
- Turn dough onto a large sheet of parchment paper and roll into a 1 ½ inch log, wrapping tightly with parchment as you go.
- Freeze dough for thirty minutes (or up to one month).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove dough from freezer and quickly slice into ½ inch rounds, placing on a parchment-lined baking sheet about ½ inch apart.
- Bake cookies for 11-13 minutes, or until just starting to firm.
- Allow cookies to cool completely.
- Lay half of baked cookies in a parchment-lined, freezer-safe dish, face-down.
- Top each cookie with a small scoop of ice cream of your choice (I recommend chai flavor if you can find it), then a second cookie, face-up.
- Cover dish and freeze immediately for 2 hours or until firm.*
- Serve right from freezer.
- *If you’re making sandwiches in advance, wrap each individually in wax paper to prevent freezer burn, and freeze for up to one month.
I found a delicious store-bought dairy-free Chai flavored ice cream to make these come together super fast. If you’d like to make your own, I’m dying to try Minimalist Baker’s Vegan Chai Ice Cream – if you beat me to it, let me know how it is! For a dairy version, this traditional chai ice cream also looks good!
Join the Dance!
Subscribe to Dancing With My Father and download a free mini-guide to soul-nourishing study!