when i wake, i want something to eat right away, and i want something meaty – something with substance. i can’t always cook a protein, and i’ve been looking for a grain-free granola recipe that was hearty and filling, a little sweet but not overly so.
inspired by tons of pinterest-posts and deterred pricey commercial options, i went to work and created this one. it’s chocolatey- but in a deep, dark way that isn’t too sweet. the citrus and dried cranberries and cherries give it a tart balance.
it also looks pretty in the little vintage bowls i found on an antiquing run with my e. a few weeks ago, no?
this cran-orange chocolate grain-free granola should fill a sweet tooth craving but fill a hungry tummy, as well; it’s delicious swimming in a little bowl of brazil nut milk, and it’s also perfect for snacking dry in a little take-along container.
- 1 cup raw walnuts, soaked overnight in filtered water
- 1 cup raw pecans, soaked overnight in filtered water
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup dried cherries, unsweetened
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange (or vanilla) extract
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds or hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
- zest of one orange
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Drain and rinse nuts and allow to air dry at least fifteen minutes.
- Combine nuts a food processor and pulse 3-5 times or until just broken up.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter with honey, then stir in cocoa, extract, and orange juice.
- Stir with a whisk until ingredients come together and are warmed through.
- Pour honey mixture into food processor and pulse 3-4 times to combine.
- Add hemp and chia seeds, berries and cherries, coconut, orange zest, and cacao nibs and pulse 3-6 more times to break up and combine.
- Pour mixture onto a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet, and bake at 200 degrees for 3-4 hours, or until dry.
- Allow to cool - mixture will crisp as it cools.
- Store in a sealed, covered container up to one month.
what’s your favorite breakfast?
Join the Dance!
Subscribe to Dancing With My Father and download a free mini-guide to soul-nourishing study!