Christmas may be over, but i’m not over the flavors it brings. mint? yes! matcha? yes! dark chocolate? yes! there are some slightly-strange-but-addictive flavors here. this matcha mint ice cream is herbaceous (yes, i did just use that word), and bright, and oh-so-creamy all at once. stuffed between deep, dark, decadent triple-chocolate grain-free cookies, it’s way, way, waaaay over the top. put it all together and it makes matcha mint grain-free ice cream sandwiches that will knock your socks off.
i admit, the past few months of actually sticking to my new dairy-free, egg-free, grain-free regimen has at times
induced whining been painful. my kids have lovingly called me on the carpet and encouraged me to be positive and not negative, dwelling on what i can create, source, and enjoy, instead of becoming defeated at what i cannot. the cool thing about this dessert is that it’s made of (mostly) healthy ingredients, so it will fit right into a new-year-healthy-eating plan… as a little splurge that won’t do you in.
the holidays are the perfect time to get creative with indulgences that are still allergy-friendly, or those that honor your nutritional choices to become a healthier you. and because i’m a daredevil, i also think they’re the perfect time to try out those recipes on friends and family!
somehow, for me, creating recipes that don’t just wow me, but those i love, but still don’t give in to the way of eating that was causing me so much difficulty, is a sort of battle-cry – a victory over the lack of control that used to, well, control me. somehow, each time i say no to something i know isn’t best for my body, i am amazed and i know that it is my Papa giving me courage to do so, and it makes me even more daring to make wise choices and creative options for us all.
it’s a bit of work to create this recipe – it’s not a “whip-it-up-in-a-few-minutes” dessert. for me, taking time to enjoy the process of creating, not just rushing headlong into the eating, is part of the process. i’m learning to make moments of creating. if you like, make the ice cream in advance. be careful not to let it get too soft before stuffing (coconut milk tends to do that, in my experience), and be sure to let the “sandwiches” refreeze before serving. it’s worth the wait, i promise!
- Matcha Mint Ice Cream:
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk (from a can)
- 4 tablespoons matcha powder
- 1 handful fresh mint
- ¼ cup honey
- pinch of salt
- Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- 8 ounces dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1½ cups almond flour or cashew flour
- ½ cup dark cocoa
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 8 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs (or flax egg equivalent)
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- For Matcha Mint Ice Cream:
- In a high-speed blender, combine coconut milk, matcha powder, mint, honey, and salt.
- Blend until doubled in volume, about 45 seconds.
- Pour into prepared ice cream maker, and follow ice cream maker instructions.
- (For best results, once ice cream is made, set in freezer to harden slightly before making sandwiches).
- For cookies:
- Melt ½ chocolate chips in a microwave-safe glass container.
- Set microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring after each time, checking carefully not to burn chocolate.
- Combine almond flour, cocoa, baking soda, and sea salt in a food processor.
- Add coconut oil and process lightly.
- Add melted chocolate, coconut sugar, egg equivalent, and mint extract.
- Process briefly to combine ingredients into a loose dough.
- Stir in whole chocolate chips, and drop by rounded teaspoons onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees until just set (about 12 minutes).
- Allow to cool completely on baking sheet, so that cookies will set.
- Cookie Sandwiches:
- Place a heaping scoop of ice cream on a cookie, and top with an additional cookie.
- Allow to harden in freezer before serving (if not serving right away, wrap each ice cream sandwich in wax paper and store in a zippered storage bag for up to one week).
share your favorite somewhat-healthy treat for us to try in the new year! (leave the details in the comments below.)
Join the Dance!
Subscribe to Dancing With My Father and download a free mini-guide to soul-nourishing study!